Ipecac Oral syrup
What is this medicine?
IPECAC SYRUP (IP i kak SIR uhp) is an emetic agent. It works by causing vomiting. It is used to treat some poisonings or overdoses. If a poisoning or overdose occurs, get emergency help. Do not treat a poisoning or overdose yourself. Not all poisonings should be treated with this medicine.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Do not take this medicine unless told to do so by a health care provider or poison control center. Follow the directions of your health care provider. Shake well before using. Use a specially marked spoon or dropper to measure each dose. Ask your pharmacist if you do not have one. Household spoons are not accurate. Do not take with milk or food. Do not take this medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
fast, irregular heartbeat
feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
unusual bleeding or bruising
unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
medicines to treat nausea and vomiting like granisetron, ondansetron
phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
What if I miss a dose?
This does not apply; this medicine is not for regular use.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). After use, throw away any unused medicine left in the open bottle. Throw away any unopened bottles of this medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
confused, not responding, or passed out
food or medicine poisoning
an unusual or allergic reaction to ipecac, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Contact your nearest poison control center, the National Poison Control hotline (1-800-222-1222), or your health care provider before you use this medicine. Some poisonings or overdoses should not be treated with this medicine.
Do not give this medicine to an unconscious, very confused, or drowsy person.